Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What does PNR mean on a script?

I went to the doctor today to get a refill on my prescription of Imitrex, and I asked her to give me a 3 month supply so it was cheaper... she wanted me to try the nasal spray so I said, ok..then as I walked out the door--I asked if she had any samples or anything for the meantime--when waiting for my medicine..She said, "why do you need to wait for the medicine?" i said b/c i am going to do the mail in to get the extra month.. then i looked @ the script and saw no refills and my other medications on the same script..and i said, "oh did you want me to try it first?" and she said yes, we can do that and she changed the script from pnr #3 to pnr #1... Was wondering was she going to give me three of the boxes for one month in the beginning until I opened my big yap-- or what does that mean exactly? What does PNR mean?
Answer:
I think you mean "PRN" instead of PNR. PRN means "when necessary" (from the Latin "pro re nata", for an occasion that has arisen, as circumstances require, as needed)
PRN means " as needed"
AS NEEDED
prn is medical term for "as needed". when you get your rx filled, it will say as needed on the bottle instead of prn. hope that helps.
pnr? prn i supposed. it means whenever necessary. as a student doctor we see to it that our patients understand our prescription. better ask clarification next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net